Thursday, August 11, 2011

A few things before we leave...



I can't even believe that it is the middle of August, that I head back to work in a few short weeks and most importantly, that we are off on our trip in a few short days.  I am excited, but I also have tried to not be completely preoccupied with going.   I was careful the last few months not to wish away summer by wishing for this vacation.  I know that it will be amazing.  I know that the bond that will be instantly created when Damien's grandparents meet their great-grandson for the first time will be so strong, much like their bond with him when he was born 30 years ago.  I know the love in our little family will continue to get stronger and stronger as we share this amazing experience with Max.

I also know that we are very fortunate to be able to take this trip.  We have both worked very hard to ensure that once we had Max, we could continue to live our lives the way that we always had.   We love to travel.  We love to eat good food and buy nice things once in awhile.  When we got married, we did it on a budget.  We didn't want to be broke before we started our lives as Mr. and Mrs. Gaudet.  When we bought our house 2 years ago, we bought a place that we could afford on one salary if need be.  We have prioritized to enable oursevles to do the things that we love to do with Max.  We are both very lucky to have our jobs and for Damien to also have his photography which he loves and with which he is able to make some extra money.  And I know that during these tough times, any one of those factors could change.  But for us, for now, this trip is about more than traveling.  It is about family.  For Damien, he is going home.  And although it has been nearly 25 years since it was his home, there is so much love and family there that it may be hard to leave after 7 short days.  I know that Max will not remember this trip.  But we will.  We will cherish it forever.  It may be a long time before we head back to Ireland.  There are many other places that we want to see.  A cross country trip next year...South America...Spain.  The list goes on and on.  Tonight, though, my heart is set on Ireland and I know she will not disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time :) My fiance' and I took a quick 5-day trip to Dublin last November and loved it (he proposed there). So great your son will get to meet more family!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and every comment that is left here. Thanks!