Friday, January 29, 2010

Hat Day






One of the custodians at the school where I work was recently diagnosed with brain cancer. He was healthy one day, and pretty much given a death sentence the next. He has been fighting this cancer since the fall and he and his family have been very brave in doing so. One of our Student Council members came up with the idea of raising money for him and his family. He is known to many of the kids as Santa since he is a bigger guy with a long white beard. He also is always wearing a hat or a bandana so the kids thought it would be a good idea to have a hat-day at school. Our students are not allowed to wear hats in the building and many of them would like to. So they council charged $1 for everyone to wear a hat today and ended up raising $150. The council will match that and our faculty dress down day collection for the upcoming month of February will also go towards our donation. The kids were super happy to be able to make such a generous donation and I love seeing this side of so many young people. It really reminds me of why I teach.

Well, I hope everyone has a nice, safe weekend. I am looking forward to it!

pink hat- thrifted $10
grey turtleneck- F21 $10
grey/white shrug- F21 $18
pink belt- remixed off old shirt
dark skinny jeans- F21 $12
merrill boots- Marshall's $100

10 comments:

  1. I love the burst of pink in your outfit. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That vest is cute. And I think that was such thing to do for the ailing custodian! Stories like that make me believe that kids really do "get it".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really great idea and I'm glad you had such a good turn out! The pink looks perfect with the gray and black and I'm liking seeing you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a great idea! It sounds like you work with a really great group of kids. I also like your hat and outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really made me smile :) What a great idea! And I love your "hat day" look. That tiny pink belt is just too adorable - especially over that vest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww, that's so nice that you and the kids were able to do that for him. you always look so cute in that pink beanie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a pretty inspirtational story. My uncle was diagnosed with brain cancer too. It is extremly agreesive but was caught early. He is pretty stable right now but is expected to have a life full of chemo.
    To raise money for cancer research I sell necklaces on etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing idea, and I love your pink beanie! I'm shaving my head to raise money for cancer next month, and I think this is something I might try at my work to make it a bit of fun for everyone! Thanks for the brilliant idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an amazing group of students you have! This was so touching and inspirational. My old company did something like this, but instead of wearing hats people shaved their heads. The owner donated $100 to Dana Farber Research Center for any male who did it and $500 for any female. They wound up raising over $5000 in one day. How wonderful is that? Anyways, I am so happy that you guys were able to do this for this family. I bet it touched them more than you could ever know.

    Wonderful post, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the first news I've heard of that custodian :(... I def remember him and calling him Santa haha! Great idea with the hats by StuCo! and p.s. I've been eyeing those merrels at Marshalls for SOO long, I love them!!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and every comment that is left here. Thanks!