Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Life as a high school teacher



One of the best things about my job is definitely all of the wonderful kids that I get to know throughout the years.  When I tell people that I teach high school, I usually get one of 2 responses from non-high-school-teachers.  The first: Wow, I could never be a teacher.  The second: Wow, I could never be a high school teacher.  I don't think that I could teach any other grade level.  I mean, sure, there are challenges that come with older children, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.  I love that I can talk about music with them.  I love that I can talk about politics with them.  I love that I can talk about health and fitness with them.   I love that I can talk about goals and dreams and love and commitment with them.  I love that I can talk about life with them.

And certainly one of the best things about being a high school teacher is getting to be a high school advisor. More specifically, a Student Council Advisor.  Our council does so much volunteer work within our school and within our community.  Whether it is the food pantry, the senior center or a needy family in town, these kids give of themselves and ask for very little in return.  They truly serve their community.

This weekend was their annual Lock-in, although it became more of a lock-out.  They had workshops and games throughout the day and then a carnival outside in the evening.  There were games, food, a dunk-tank and a palm reader and they made a backdrop and Damien came with Max and took pictures for them.  Max and I were sure to get our picture taken and last year's STUCO President stopped in for a visit and we had a few pics taken together.  They all had a wonderful time.  I worked from 8am until 11pm.  I had breakfast, lunch and dinner with these kids.

These pictures are the reason that I am a high school teacher.  It's these events and these memories and these children.  And even though I have to leave Max every day, it's because I know that one day he is going to need a high school teacher who will give up a Sunday to play and laugh and put on ridiculous glasses and have their picture taken with him.








1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I feel the same, I love being a teacher and a class advisor especially, there's something so wonderful about those relationships you form. Max is lucky to have you as his mom, and the students are lucky to have you as their teacher.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate each and every comment that is left here. Thanks!